Cook-a-thon: Nigerian chef, Hilda Baci, sets new Guinness World Record for ‘marathon cooking’
Nigerian chef Hilda Effiong Bassey, known as Hilda Baci, has surpassed the current Guinness World Record holder in a remarkable achievement. She is on track to break the Guinness World Record for the “longest cooking marathon by an individual” by surpassing the 87 hours 50 minutes mark.
Beginning her endeavor on Thursday at 4 pm, Hilda Baci surpassed the current world record holder on Monday morning, demonstrating her endurance and culinary skills. If officially certified by the Guinness World Record, she will dethrone Lata Tondon, an Indian chef who achieved the feat in 2019 with an uninterrupted cooking time of 87 hours 45 minutes.
Hilda Baci’s ongoing cooking marathon is taking place at Amore Gardens in Lekki, Lagos State. Despite the rain, numerous Nigerians, including celebrities, braved the weather to physically support and encourage the visibly exhausted chef.
In addition to her latest accomplishment, Hilda Baci emerged as the winner of the inaugural Jollof Face-off Competition in 2021, earning a grand prize of $5,000.
The Guinness Book of Records, initially published in 1955 by the Guinness Brewery in Ireland, is a renowned reference book that documents human and natural world records. Over the years, it has become one of the most widely recognized and frequently consulted reference books globally.
To secure a world record listing, individuals or groups must provide evidence to the Guinness World Records team and undergo a thorough verification process.
In recent times, several Nigerians have made their mark by breaking Guinness World Records:
- Gbenga Ezekiel – Holds the record for the most skips in a minute on one leg (February 2023).
- Divine Ikubor, aka Rema – Achieved the record for “Calm Down” as the first No.1 Hit on The Official MENA Chart, the world’s first regional streaming chart (May 2023).
- Bose Omolayo – Holds the record for the heaviest para power lift by a female in the -79 kg category, lifting 144 kg (December 2021).
- Chukwuebuka Ezugha and Victor Richard Kipo – Hold the record for the most consecutive football passes with the soles as a team of two (December 2021).
- Folashade Oluwafemiayo – Holds the record for the heaviest power lift by a female in the -86 kg category, lifting 152.5 kg (December 2021).
- Chinonso Eche – Holds the record for the most football headers in a prone position in one minute, with a total of 23 (October 2021).
- Vincent Okezie – Holds the record for the most consecutive backward handsprings with a football (soccer ball) between the legs (March 2022).
- Haruna Abdulazeez – Holds the record for the most American football touches with the feet in one minute (October 2020).
- Peter Aho – Holds the record for six wickets for five runs in 3.4 overs against Sierra Leone (October 2021).
- Bayo Omoboriowo – Holds the record for the largest photo book, measuring 60.84 m² (654 ft² 87 in²) (September 2021).